I know… It’s finally fall, and I post a spring recipe? I don’t understand myself either.
I was at the grocery store the other day and saw a magazine with a picture of these cookies on it, so I chose the long line and settled in to read the recipe. I know that sounds really cheap… sometimes I do buy the magazine, but more often than not, I’d rather read the recipe and then go home and search for one like it online. Especially when said magazine costs $8.99!! Dang.
Anyhow, I am a big fan of lemons. Lemonade, lemony chicken, lemon poppyseed muffins, lemon in my ice water, lemons, lemons, lemons! I remember my mom making cookies like this for showers or parties, and ever since they’ve been a favorite of mine. It’s a great recipe for a quick but delicious and elegant cookie! I’m willing to bet that you probably have all the ingredients in your cupboard, too! The only wild card is the fresh lemons- and worst case scenario, you could use bottled lemon juice. And I mean worst case scenario. There’s just something about the fresh lemon zest in the cookie, and the fresh juice in the glaze that really sets this cookie apart. So please don’t let it get to the worst case scenario. Actually, forget that I suggested it. 🙂
Also, word of warning! Try to remember to check your hands for any cuts or scrapes before squeezing the lemons. I don’t have the luxury of one of those squeezer thingies that makes juicing fruit much more enjoyable. So, I used my bare hands, not thinking of the weeding I had done earlier this morning. Lemon juice + fresh scrapes= OW.
All in all, these cookies took me less than an hour, and one batch makes a little less than 3 dozen cookies. Hopefully they last in your kitchen longer than the time it took to make them!!
Glazed Lemon Cookies
adapted from Two Peas & their Pod
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
4-5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 35o degrees F. Line two baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, add granulated sugar and lemon zest. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers, until fragrant.
4. Beat butter and sugar/lemon mixture together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
5. Slowly beat in flour mixture on low speed until blended. Drop dough by tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Gently flatten dough with the palm of your hand.
6. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are just set and slightly golden brown. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 2 minutes and transfer to cooking racks. Cool completely.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Dip each cookie top into the lemon glaze. Let cookies sit until icing has set.